Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale of Sicily (IZS of Sicily) is a Public Health Institute entrusted with independent management, administrative and technical powers, operating for the National Health Service as a technical scientific instrument.
Head office is located in Palermo with 4 territorial districts located in Catania, Ragusa, Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto (Messina) and Caltanissetta. The institute holds three OIE Reference Laboratories for Babesiosis, Theileriosis and Leishmaniosis and four National Reference Centres. It is a Regional Reference Centre for sea turtles and cetacean monitoring and control.
IZS of Sicily provides services in the fields of animal health and food safety and works according to Quality System procedures as regulated by UNI CEI EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005 standards.
The main institutional tasks are:
- Etiology, pathogenesis and prophylaxis of infectious diseases of livestock including zoonoses
- Epidemiological surveillance on animal health, food traceability and hygiene;
- Consultancies about animal welfare, production and health;
- Environmental protection and conservation;
- Research on Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases, Food Control, Traditional Products, Molecular and Cellular Biology;
- Scientific cooperation;
- Training and education provider for specialized personnel certified by National Agency AGENAS.
For further information www.izssicilia.it
IZS of Sicily facilities include laboratory for research and diagnosis of animal diseases, chemical analysis, food control, microbiology, molecular and cellular biology, entomology, animal house and surgery.
The Institute holds also a Publishing and Library Service, providing an integrated multimedia system for health communication.
IZS of Sicily Biobank mission is to collect biological resources provided by the National Reference Centres and the OIE Laboratories.
All biological resources are controlled and characterized by standard protocols with detailed information on their main features.
For further information, click on the following sections:
- Coordinator: Dr. Annalisa Guercio, email@example.com
- C.R.A.Ba.R.T.: Dr. Santo Caracappa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- C.Re.Na.L.: Dr. Fabrizio Vitale, email@example.com
- C.Re.N.A.: Dr. Vincenzo Ferrantelli, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ce.Tox.: Dr. Annalisa Guercio, email@example.com